At the risk of sounding like a heartless monster, I would like to say that having a pet maybe counterproductive to prepping; unless the pet (dog) is adding something useful like alerting to burglars ..etc.

It is not that I hate animals or birds, but I see them as an additional responsibility in times when your energy is stretched to its limits caring for yourself and family.

The emotional part is understandable, a nice cute pet can add to someone's emotional wellbeing in times of distress, but that may vary a lot case to case. There are many people who will dump a pet in a disaster.

A few years ago, one of my sons developed a passion for birds (canary , parakeet, ..etc. ) and he put them in the upper floor of the house. As much as I was uncomfortable having them in the house, I was very much worried about their wellbeing. And true enough, one day I visited the balcony where the cages were and was horrified to see that none of the cages had a drop of water. I rushed to fill all the water containers for them and issued new decree in the house : No more than two birds (he got to choose which two to keep) AND putting at least TWO water containers per cage, AND those birds be brought down with us where we can see them more often. I didn't like the last point but , well... no choice.