I understand radio direction finding to locate a transmitter (I'm a ham). And triangulation via cell towers. And I've heard of Stingray, although I know nothing about it other than it's a way for police to lie to your cellphone to get it to connect to their device to get you (either location of maybe even intercepting voice transmissions).

But the mention of "accessing GPS" was new to me. At least without requiring user cooperation/permission. GPS coordinates are going to walk you right up to a person, much higher resolution than any of the above methods. That is a big privacy concern if you ask me, and has no reason to be implemented IMHO.

I wasn't aware of your location being automatically passed if you dial 911. But in that case, I'm in agreement with it happening. That would be a good thing. As long as it's strictly controlled to ONLY do this for legitimate 911 contacts. Along with adequate notification to users, so they could turn that behavior off it desired (that might be stupid in many cases, but you still have to allow it).

I use an app on my Android phone named "Glympse" that allows others to track my location. I turn that on if I go off on a walk by myself, and it sends a link to my wife so she can see where I am. But I don't leave that app sending out my location routinely. Only when I'm off alone with a chance that I might keel over and not be found quickly. Hiking, when within cell service range, is a great time to have that app active. Probably turn it on even if you don't expect to be in cell phone range - you never know when you might get a fleeting connection and word of your location could sneak out.