Doug, you might put a few N95 masks into that kit, given current events. I'm glad you have the Ziploc bags in there (hopefully not the slider kind). They are reasonably practical for carrying water, to supplement the Platypus. A single big Platypus would make me nervous since it might spring a leak. I was going to suggest adding some Ziplocs but then saw you already have them.

I hope the spare 2016/2032 batteries are name brand (Energizer etc). The cheap ones have reasonable capacity when new but I have found (from a bunch of "Fauxton" Photon clone lights that I bought around 10 years ago) that their shelf life is finite.

After seeing some of your stories about SAR seeing very dim light sources at great distances at night, do you think some GITD markers are worth having? Like in the recent post about that guy's white van getting lost in the boonies, maybe he could have been helped by some GITD tape on the roof. He was lost for months so any battery powered signal lights would have been long depleted. That seems like another possible addition.

You have 3 light sources in the pack (rescue laser, Black Diamond Flare headlamp, Photon Freedom) that require 3 types of batteries. That might be something to think about in a future iteration. The Greenland laser looks really cool (I hadn't heard of it before) and it would be great if they did a 1AA version. It would have the same approx size/weight/battery life of the CR123A version.

How do you like the Flare? As you might have noticed I got very obsessed with the thread about it for a while.

Did you find hard candy that doesn't melt? I was going to suggest cough drops but they do melt. Maybe Altoids? They do help with scratchy throat, and of course the tin has many uses.

I'm very fond of nylon double ended sporks and they don't weigh much. I've found the single ended type a lot harder to use. I see there are some bamboo ones available too. I might get a few sometime.

I hope the kit is not too jam packed, so people can make their own small additions.

There is some very nice stuff in there!

Edited by paulr (03/28/22 06:18 AM)