A great question which points up a very fundamental issue -how do you organize all this stuff so that you access the right gear quickly??

When I started, a helmet was not considered necessary in either SAR or technical climbing, although this changed eventually. I could not afford separate kits (cash starved college guy) so I had to keep stuff accessible for both situations.

I basically kept, and still keep, for that matter, a pack that can respond to an emergency situation. In Tucson, AZ, where I first did SAR, w could face situations in a variety of environments -everything from desert heat to snow and ice in the nearby mountains. With the seasonal variations, there was no such thing as a static load which could be left on a shelf.

Basically I kept a pack loaded and ready to go on SAR and adjusted it for recreational pursuits. Thee SAR pack itself changed with the seasons - one of my colleagues once remarked "that in the summer, your pack just becomes a giant waiter bottle".

I usually carried 100 feet of 9mm line, a few biners (at least one locking), a few slings, and my harness, as well as a helmet, which was always readily available..

You almost always have a few minutes to gather your stuff, even in an extreme bug out. We had to leave our home a few years ago in th face of an impending wildfire, and it was good to have a basic pack assembled, but there was still time to throw in some potential essentials, like my good helmet..

I think the key is organization, and knowing where your critical items are, at all times.

Good topic - hope there ar additional perspectives