Originally Posted By: LCranston
It's hard when no one else in your family thinks in this direction, especially for food. Trying to figure out ways to keep food on hand when you have 2 teenage boys is a pain.

For many other things I can "leverage" the boys; having two scouts make having gear that counts as "camping" gear can finesse this.
We both agree on many of the basics, having folding ladders in all upstairs bedrooms was HER idea

My wife gripes at my choices in some cases, but as most of the supplies I buy are long term ones and not crazy expensive she just rolls her eyes.. Over the years several of them have proved useful.

AMAZING how having 6 or 7 spare wool blankets can be in a 48 hour Power outage can be...LOL...

Boy, this could be my post. Though my kids are < 10.

I've got a half-shelf in the basement store room with about 10 #10 cans of Mtn house, along with about 10 cans of fruits and 10 cans of meats. Also about 6 MRE's and about 30 lifeboat ration types. Plus 6 cases of water.

It's not much, but it's stable.

Our camping stuff also fills dual roles. Both cars have a few blankets, which come in pretty handy in fall when the temps drop quick as the sun goes down and we're STILL at some sort of God-awfully-long-kids-practice ...

I used to have a friend that was uber-prep, but TBH he was kind of "jump from one good idea to the next." Suddenly he was into guns and buying the cheapest thing that went 'bang' that he could, then he was a gunsmith with a dremel and wood-burning kit... His food preps were ok, but he was big into cast iron (I guess that makes you a mountain man?) and I had to talk him off the ledge about gas masks for the entire family.