Originally Posted By: paulr
I wish PLB's were a little more flexible, so they could be used for general purpose 2 way comms (like InReach) rather than simply summoning rescue at coordinates XYZ without even indicating what kind of emergency it is. They are also quite expensive. On the other hand, if they were widespread, people would be activating them foolishly all the time.

PLBs take advantage of public infrastructure (the COSPAS/SARSAT system, installed as instrument packages on GNSS and weather satellites operated by the USA, Europe, India and Russia). It was a big investment to get it going and the instrument packages would need to be replaced or at least upgraded in place before something like that could work.

As far as I know, all SENDs use Globalstar (a publicly held satellite communications company) or Iridium (also publicly held but at one point at least propped up by the US government). These are dedicated platforms and use newer technology than than the COSPAS/SARSAT program envisioned when it was started in 1979.

Quote:

Now you're making me want to build a pocket FT8 transceiver kit to try out.