Like everything else, these things are very person and circumstance specific.

I used to work ~36 miles from home. My get home plan was to probably not go home in an emergency, but if I really HAD to for some reason, I would have walked (oof) or borrowed a boat (there's a river flowing toward home between where I work and live and I'm a boater...). In other words, yeah I had clothes appropriate for the season and some basics with me, but I didn't view a "get home" bag as a realistic option. It was too far. I did have a credit card and a plethora of hotels, friends with homes, and bars near where I worked to seek shelter in if needed!

I now work 6-8 miles (depending on the route I choose...) from home. Now I don't have a get home bag because it's maybe a 4 hour walk. I could also just sleep in my office or, again, shelter at someone's home nearer to work. It is also hard for me to imagine a situation where I can't get a ride, but if I think hard enough I can come up with something I guess.

Like Acrop, I try to dress for the weather. So if something happens to my car/the roads are closed, I'll figure out my best option at the time. That said, if I'm looking at weather so bad it is likely to make the roads impassable I hope I am already home.

Point is, I agree the guys you watch on youtube are not realistic. Maybe they truly are clueless, or maybe they're trying to get views and make some money. But you have to look at your circumstances, your decision making, and your level of fitness and comfort in your area to decide what makes sense for you.