Teacher: I’m not siding with any of the videos u viewed. I’ve seen them too. Most are “wanna-be” exercises or wildly too heavy for anyone who isn’t a young fit experienced backpacker. BUT, a 20 mile winter or summer walk home , without, respectively, a winter coat or hat for sun protection , is doable given medium winter conditions.

Not every GHB is car carried. Mine is designed for walking about in the NYC-Nj Metro area and walking home in a 9/11 lockdown type situation. That could be an ~15 mile walk. So it’s a 8-10 lb. packed , leather, 8-9 L, unisex leather backpack. Unobtrusive in an urban environment. ( See my 9/12 post with contents list ,under the entry for “Your bug out bag has the wrong gear”.). I try to to dress for the worst likely weather, especially when I’m onfoot or using public transport. But, let’s assume I’ve lost my coat because I had to evac the restaurant quickly after a catasophe of some type.

My bag has extra socks, thin leather-nomex gloves, N-95 mask, Convertible sun- regular glasses, sil-tarp poncho, 2 small store type plastic bags ( wrap shoes), 2” x10’ Gorilla tape and 2 large cotton bandanas. With these materials I could fashion body insulation from stuffing shirt or bags and bandana hobo bag, with dry material, leaves, crumpled newspaper pages, , napkins , etc , whatever works that I can “dog rob”.. I can fashion a sun or warmth hat. Fasten the extra insulation and shoe wrap to my body/ shoes with the G Tape, don the extra socks and gloves. Cover the whole “jury rig “ with my sil-tarp poncho to break the wind and keep insulation dry from rain/ snaow. NOT an optimum set-up, but good enough to keep me warm and dry while I was walking-out. Good enough to ward off the weather’s worst punishment , if uncomfortablely.

Edited by Acropolis50 (09/17/21 04:38 AM)