These days, I prefer down quilts to sleeping bags. Bags really don't provide any warmth underneath, in any case. A few years ago, I got a Paria Outdoors Thermodown 15 deg quilt, and while it's not the lightest in the category, its an excellent value. I'd like to get their 35 deg version, as well.

If I have to sleep on the ground, then my trusty Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest Deluxe (the old discontinued purple and green version, which is thicker than the one they sell now) is my first line of defense, to which I add a Therm-a-Rest BaseCamp when car camping, and I want to add a lighter weight self-inflater, probably the Therm-a-Rest Prolite Plus.

But honestly, sleeping in a hammock is my preference now, and the advantage of having a quilt instead of a bag is that you can always rig it as an underquilt. Of course, that doesn't make much sense unless you also have another quilt over you.

Still, in warmer weather, I can use the closed cell pad in the hammock with the quilt over me, and that's enough.

I actually sleep on the BaseCamp at home, with a Z-Rest under it, but I put a doubled-over heavy wool blanket on top of that for additional insulation, moisture management, and cushioning. It's surprisingly comfortable, and in Winter, I add a second doubled-over heavy wool blanket.

As far as tarps as concerned, I'd like to get a nylon tarp, just because they pack up much smaller, but for years, I've used woven poly tarps. They are cheap and ubiquitous, and they work.

I have a couple of Quixote down travel pillows that I bought forever ago at REI.