Here is a chance for me to trot out my favorite rant. I took my initial FA course as a direct result of my first experience at conducting wilderness search and rescue which became a life changing experience. The majority of my FA work has been in that context. This was mostly in Tucson, AZ, where the wild is closely adjacent. I had lots of experience treating victims, usually suffering from falls and related mishaps, often as a team member with doctors and nurses.

The volunteer group over time became very effective and I enjoyed the companionship and teamwork which developed. at the time I was active we were averaging about one operation a week (much more now).

The thing is, I received more benefits than I contributed and I was very active. Still I got 110 per cent return for every 100 percent contributed. Odd, but true.

Most of our ops occurred on the weekends and I was able to adjust my schedule. My employer, the National Park Service, at first only tolerant of this activity, became more supportive when one of our largest operations was the still unconcluded search for a missing ranger at a nearby National Monument.

Get real experience and volunteer for a similar group near you. If they are active at all, the work will keep you hopping and on your toes and finally, give you great satisfaction...

Edited by hikermor (07/31/21 02:48 AM)