Like hikermor, I feel we should value functionality over appearance, and we should maintain our body because it does a lot of things for us, not because we want our body to conform to some arbitrary standard imposed by society. It feels good to exercise, eat well, and live a healthy life. That's plenty.

It doesn't make sense to chase after impossible images. Jeanette is right that we have genetic dispositions that can prevent us from achieving movie star bods. It's a bit of a lottery. Our society's taste in beauty changes. Why chase after a moving goal post that may not have been designed for your game?

Some people may want a slim, petite body. But be careful of what you wish for. I know a number of slim, petite women whose genetics is such that it is really hard for them to gain weight. Some wish they were curvy and could fill out a bikini better. Some have to gain weight for health reasons, and they have a hard time doing it. Some get bullied and have unflattering, objectifying adjectives thrown at them. I'm not asking for sympathy for them. I'm pointing out that dissatisfaction with one's own body image is common, even with the body type that one idealizes.