The difficulty with the RDS is changing your muscle memory from iron sights. It takes hundreds, if not thousands, of draws to get to the point that the dot is ALWAYS immediately visible. A new shooter has the advantage of not having to unlearn years of muscle memory and I've seen them take to it readily.

An RDS is easy with a rifle. A pistol is a lot harder. If you have to search for the dot, you lose a significant part of the advantage in quickness. At short ranges, typical of most self-defense use, my first option is always the laser because I can see it on target even before I get the sight into position, and if necessary I can shoot before it is even in my RDS. But, I practice mostly with the laser off, because it's just so easy to use it would become a crutch.

Belt and suspenders. I can be more accurate, particularly at higher ranges, quicker and more consitant with the RDS than with iron sights on my Glock. But, I still need to get the muscle memory down to the not thinking about it point. Still working on that. Not ever going back to iron sights.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com