Slightly larger than a regular purse, my EDC bag, also known as my 24 Hour urban survival kit, had morphed into what it is today, starting from when I was a child. Except for when I visit with a neighbor, I have this kit on my person every time I leave our yard.

Except for when I'm taking a shower, changing clothes, or sleeping, I have a "keychain kit" on my person at all times. That "kit" consists of a housekey, pill fold, whistle, and an electronic alarm. Though the electronic noisemaker is lounder and does not require lung power, I still keep the Fox 40 as a backup because it does not require batteries, nor would it break down.

My "bugout bag" [I use quotes because I don't think it meets the more rigid definition of the term] is an overnighter-size suitcase with a box of alcohol swabs, EDC bag refill items, plus the usual overnighter bag items.

My tool kit is a Harbor Freight tool bag with hand tools to work on computers, make simple car repairs, and disassemble/reassemble Dad's old drawing table that I now use as my computer desk.

Including my main medical kit and the FAK in my EDC bag, I've modified more first aid kits than I can count. I attempted to make a kit from scratch, but it seems I'm better at customizing first aid kits than building them from the ground up.

Jeanette Isabelle