I think the article is just a tad over the top and alarmist; 44 operations a year? In southern Arizona, my volunteer group- Southern Arizona Rescue Association (SARA) was logging around 50 annual operations when I left Arizona in 1985; today, they average about 100. The group responds to calls from the local sheriffs, does a competent, professional job, and earns substantial community support.

"volunteer" does not mean incompetent or inexperienced. We had currently certified and practicing nurses and physicians active in our group, along with certified PE engineers with an interest in the outdoors and rock climbing and caving involved in technical operations. One of the strengths of a volunteer group like this is the engagement of folks with many diverse backgrounds and skills in a common enterprise - aiding people in trouble in the Great Outdoors.

The common denominator for the victims we aided was inexperience. I can recall less than three operations (out of more than 450 in which I was involved) where people with any knowledge or skill came to grief.

Volunteering has its problems' you generally have to work for a living at least some of the time....Those of use who were most active typically had reasonably flexible schedules and the support of our organizations. I frequently used my vacation time for operations and found a provision in the personnel manual which allowed up to 40 hours leave peer year for service to community non profit organizations. I used that as well.

Local knowledge and experience is a priceless asset for SAR. You will not function as well in unknow territory as within an area in which you have operated for years.

I feel that volunteer SAR makes a great deal of sense. When a situation arises, you need varying numbers of people with various skills, ranging from medical to technical climbing/outdoor expertise to come forth and achieve a goal. Except in very unusual situations, volunteers are the answer.

Yosemite NP is one of those exceptions. The staff does include fully trained, equipped, and competent rescuers. Even so, they are augmented by climbers in the Valley, who, I understand, are paid for their services when on an operation.

What would help SAR in the face of this "boom" in outdoor recreation. one thing - get the message out to people about proper conduct in the outdoors. Establish incentives and remove barriers for volunteers - perhaps some sort of compensation - semi-volunteers, anyone?

For me, now in my eighties, volunteer SAR was the most rewarding and significant of all the things that I have done.