Your point is well made but there are complexities and nuances to the "bugout" situation. Being equipped to stay in the woods devoid of any amenities gives you a range of options and expands your choice

I keep citing my recent bugout experience - Mrs. hikermor,our cat,and i departed swiftly before a rapidly spreading fire. We spent what was left of the night down by the beach, sleeping n our cars. I had thought we might roll out on the sand, but thee winds were extreme. The next day we looked for a likely spot. We had the ability to camp, but lucked into a very nice motel for three nights and had a rather pleasant experience This seems typical of evacuations in SoCal today. People leave an area and stay with friends, relatives, or rent a room someplace - the formal refugee centers are lightly patronized.

Still, the next time I need to evacuate I will be ready to do fairly primitive camping. You never know.

Actually, my emeergency bag is not all that different from what I carry on a normal backpacking/ field project excursion. It's all stuff I use regularly..

Edited by hikermor (03/05/21 06:35 PM)