I'd normally be talking with someone at a gun shop about this, but due to my age and COVID-19 risk I am buying cleaning supplies online and NOT going to gun shops.

It has been many years (25+?) since I did any gun shooting and cleaning. Back then I used Hoppes No. 9 solvent to remove residue, and Hoppes oil to protect.

Since then the gun cleaning supplies available have changed dramatically. I looked up the current manual for my Remington 870 shotgun and it calls for using Rem Oil Aerosol for lubrication. Unfortunately, due to the current upswing of gun purchases it is almost impossible to purchase gun related items online. Rem Oil Aerosol is simply not available online, though I did manage to purchase fresh Hoppes No. 9 and Hoppes Oil (non spray).

I read good things about a product called 'Break Free CLP Cleaner, Lubricant and Preservative' aerosol, somehow managed to find it available online, and ordered it.

My question: Is Break Free CLP Cleaner, Lubricant and Preservative aerosol sufficient for protecting gun surfaces? Or should I be using the Hoppes Oil for post-cleaning protection? I plan to use the Hoppes Oil for lubricating moving parts (trigger assembly, pump rails).

Also, I have the Sentry Solution Tuf-Cloth originally purchased for protecting knives. Would that be better to use on the guns' exterior surfaces than gun oil.

Thanks for any wisdom you can provide.