Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
It's curious: I turn off almost all of the stuff that people advocate as helpful (privacy issues x1000).

I do keep "Location services" off unless I really need it, and the "while using" setting on apps where I need it - for both privacy and power concerns.
And in a pickle, I would turn off all data services -- they suck battery life x100.

Yes, and location services even more so. When I don't need service, I keep the phone in "Airplane Mode", and "off" (not really off, but faster to bring back than full shutdown).

Sometimes, simple wins the day:
[i]VANCOUVER -- A B.C. police department says a dying cellphone light helped them locate a lost hiker on a Vancouver-area mountain over the weekend.

Good point, and that has paid off many times - it didn't take me long to find quite a few - seems like this is a topic that could justify it's own thread:
Florida, Dec 2019, iPhone flashlight rescue
New York, Sep 2017 Cell phone flashlight rescue
Montana, May 2015 Cell Phone Flashlight Rescue
New Jersey, Aug 2014, Cellphone flashlight rescue
Nov 2008 cell phone flashlight rescue

In this case, the NVG was able to pick up the cell phone screen itself, they say:
Cell phone screen seen by NVG

Edited by rafowell (01/17/21 05:31 AM)
Edit Reason: suggest thread