The custom bag probably accounts for the most significant portion of their costs, and I know they need to make a profit on this, so I don't want to knock it too hard given it's intended audience, and we've discussed this aspect in the past.

So, taking it for what it is without holding what it isn't against it, I think my biggest issue with this kit is that the form factor is a whole backpack... yet the shelter is essentially a disposable tube tent and space blanket. Things that would practically fit into a pocket.

Adding to that, the "a place for everything and everything in it's place" approach is really satisfying for those who enjoy organization, but the drawback is the space seems largely accounted for, and I don't know how much room the end user would have to continue using the bag with significant customization over time, such as adding their own shelter that might include a tarp, tent or hammock, bug net, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, spare clothes and socks, etc.

I suspect what would happen is the end user buys this because it's pretty cool, it sparks their interest, they start replacing components over time with better ones and eventually outgrow the bag entirely. That's precisely what happened with me and "personal survival kits"; I bought a pro force SAS tin, it sparked my interest in the subject, I started replacing components and eventually nothing of the original was left except the tin!

To be fair, they don't know the environment it will be used in, but I can't help but want more for the sort of end user who would buy it. Since they're not opposed to shopping for Chinese products (as evidenced by the knife and Sipik SK68 type flashlight), I would have liked to have seen the following options so the user could dial in their preference:

Minimalist Option
-15D 3F Sil Poncho that doubles as a tarp ($20 on Aliexpress)
-Lixada Sleeping Bag (Escape Bivy clone) ($18 on Aliexpress)

Hammock Option
-Hammock with Bug Net and Tarp ($28 on Aliexpress)

Tent Option (Premium with upcharge)
-3F UL Lanshan 1 PRO Tent (~$129 on Aliexpress)

Because each of these options have a reusable shelter, I think it would help kickstart their adventures and represent items they may hold onto and incorporate into future kits rather than end up being something that stays in the car like a roadside assistance kit.

I believe a headlamp would have been better than the flashlight for most users. You're more likely to break this thing out and grab the light so you can change your tire. The included flashlight is meh (I've had several over the years and none last long) and the focusing is a bit of a gimmick. Replacing the battery with a duracell is okay, but a lithium primary would have been better because it would nearly eliminate the potential of the battery leaking inside the light during long term storage, and would work better in cold environments ie, if they were storing the bag in their car in the winter.

As far as the knife goes, I don't know if they run into issues selling these in particular states due to their knife laws. If it wasn't an issue, a Mora (especially the light my fire model) would have been top notch for new users, still inexpensive, and serve them well even down the road.

I second the idea of a Ritter like PSK that you can slide into a pocket, and finally a cheap metal cup for the nalgene.

Edited by Burncycle (01/09/21 11:17 PM)