Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Reading an essay on planning I realized that we might be planning - and packing , for the wrong thing.

During most events 99% of the time we'll be 'bugging out' to a hotel, friends house or community shelter. Not a spot in the woods.

And if my car breaks down, I'm not walking home. ( ride, rail, stay at work, uber, bike...)

So why am I packing like a Boy Scout? Do I need a water filter, tarp and whet stone?? Its more likely that I'll need a phone charger, contact solution and clean shirt for work.

Thoughts?

Agreed /w additional comments. My EDC backpack includes things like electronics, chargers, F/A, etc. New to the EDC are face masks and sanitizer because of Covid. My BOB is a combination of bug out and camping gear. My EDC pack is in the house with me and the BOB is near the front door during winter and in the vehicle the rest of the year. Some of the gear is more susceptible to freezing temperatures. I should be able to grab both when the need arises.

My most likely bug out scenarios are tornadoes, prolonged power outage, fire, rail car accident (I'm 300m from a low speed rail line), noxious fallout (I'm 4 km from a refinery). Bugging out generally means using my vehicle to get to another safer location, like you say, a hotel, friend or community shelter. A lot of the possible scenarios have me sheltering in place. I'm currently working from home rather than my office.