While it is true that a survival kit designed for a lifeboat adrift in mid ocean is not exactly the same that you would prefer for the Arizona desert, there are several basic commonalities, because you never know when you will be faced with a problem.

I think of a good friend and colleague with whom I worked for four seasons in the canyons of Arizona on an archaeological project. We did a fair amount of hiking, rock climbing, and four wheeling. No real problems although h successfully belayed one of the longest leader falls I ever experienced.

I returned the favor when we were presenting the results of our endeavors in a decidedly urban setting, a national archaeo conference held at the Mayflower Hotel in downtown Washington, DC. In mid session, he suffered a grand mal seizure. I was able to render first aid (along with an RN who happened to be there) and rode with him to the ER where I was able to provide background, history, contact his wife, etc.

Survival is fundamentally an attitude and state of mind, helped along with useful preps and worthwhile gadgets.