I am glad to see a review of this radio!

I am not ready to buy my first HF rig quite yet, but I've started looking around. My top three choices thus far are

(1) ICOM IC-705 like you have here
(2) ICOM IC-7300 higher powered sibling of the 705, but without 2m and 70cm
(3) Yaesu FT-991A direct competitor to ICOM's IC-7300

Does your IC-705 have a built-in antenna tuner? I know the IC-7300 has that, but I don't know about the IC-705.

How do you find the touchscreen? That is a little bit of a worry for me. As I get older and my eyesight and hand/eye coordination gets worse, I wonder about these things. But everything seems to be going touchscreen these days.

In my ham class, we got lots of hands on experience with equipment. One of those things was setting up a portable antenna and then using an IC-7300 with that. We had a few exercises to complete for class. I don't remember liking or hating the touchscreen. Probably because I was so new to the radio I wasn't thinking about evaluating the user interface, just getting the assignment done. I do remember that VFO tuning knob was butter smooth though. Spinning that thing just exuded quality.

If one ends up doing any amount of remote transmitting, the IC-705 seems like a dream radio. It pretty much has it all, except for transmitting power. But that's not what it was designed for. For a stay-at-home rig I might be tempted with the IC-7300 with it's 100 watts of transmitting power and then a separate 2m/70cm radio to supplement it. What would be ideal is an IC-705 with external power amp for home use. To go out in the field, you just grab the IC-705 with its battery and leave the power amp behind.

I wonder if anybody does remote transmitting on 160M though. Sure, you'd have this little bitty radio. But the antenna requirements wouldn't be so little bitty...