I'm reasonably well prepared but if the grid was down for a long time in my corner of Montana things would get nippy! It's 12 degrees today and will much colder come Dec/Jan/Feb. I don't really have a good system of heating my place for long. There are some propane heaters on the market but I don't know that they're safe to run indoors for long periods. This wouldn't be a survival issue immediately as I have plenty of appropriate winter gear (boots, mukluks, coats, semi-arctic sleeping bags, etc) but obviously keeping the water from freezing would be an issue.

Right now I have plenty of food for a couple of months. Probably around a month of Datrex, a couple months of Mountain House, canned and fair stock of dried beans, etc.

While I don't expect it to be an issue I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I am adequately stocked with firearms and ammo. There hasn't been a round of 9mm or 5.56 on the shelves for a couple months, and in my last trip to the LGS virtually every round for every caliber was gone! shocked That would be much more disconcerting to me if I hadn't had the foresight to keep "a bit of ammo" on hand. Really it's not even so much "prepping" as just keeping stuff around I use. I've got two or three thousand rounds of 9mm and probably 500 rounds of 12 ga, mostly 00 Buckshot and slugs. The one area I kind of wish I had stacked deeper is 5.56; there I have maybe 700 round. That's enough to equip four US Army soldiers with the standard combat load but not enough to go out and plink recreationally with any frequency. But it should be enough for anything short of a Red Dawn situation. grin