Originally Posted By: hikermor

For example, I spend significant time on the SoCal Channel Islands. The snare wire in the kit would be of little use there. There are no critters, other than rare and endangered species, besides mice. On the other hand, the table is set at every low tide - an abundance of edibles in every tide pool, plus lots of veggie foods on land. Just personal preference, but I would add a Bic lighter. And so on....

I would have a different kit, and rather different gear in general, for a winter hike in the mountains and hills on the mainland.

Personally I am not a big fan of snaring stuff in a PSK anyway. Don't get me wrong, the wire is immensely useful! But most of the time snaring is a low-percentage game so you need to set out a lot of snares, something that's impractical to keep in a small kit. Besides, I'd rather get out of the situation than set up a little homestead and start trapping! smirk What's next, keeping a packet of seeds in the PSK to plant so you can raise crops while awaiting rescue? grin

Maybe I'm not the one to ask though. My kits tend to be much larger. The PSP is awesome and the great foundation for kit but I carry a lot more due to where I live (SW Montana @ 5000 feet of elevation). It's nice to have some things to make survival easier and less painful, and it's great to have some things that while not strictly necessary make life easier. Food is not usually all that important for an ordeal in the 24-72 hour range but of course it's no fun to go days without eating.