Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Speaking from personal experience and what I have also seen firsthand, those with vehicles with bigger engines (V8) will find that in very cold climates, these jump packs will not cold start these engines with any sure reliability. This means a boost from another vehicle with good jumper cables or an AC powered battery charger that also has engine start / boost capability.

As for the comments up thread about generator not starting. Like any preparedness item, generators need to be checked on a regular basis.

Also stay away from ethanol blend gas and also use a good gas stabilizer supplement to keep the gas from gumming and varnishing. For my power equipment, lawnmower, weed eater, boat motors, generators, I use the above non Ethanol gas and Stabilizer and never have any trouble starting any of these motors.

Spot on advice regarding jumper cables. The jump packs are certainly handy, and will start a vehicle who's battery is only slightly down. But for a seriously discharged battery and/or seriously cold weather, there is no substitute for good jumper cables.

Get the thickest cables you can find. (Thicker wire means smaller "gauge" number.) Thicker wire has less resistance and therefor less voltage loss in the cable. Many of the ready made "roadside emergency kits" have cheap, very thin jumpers. I once helped some folks trying to start a car one frosty evening. They were using one of those cheap, thin jumpers, with no success. I pulled out my heavy jumper cable, and easily got their car started.

Regarding storing gasoline, I've routinely kept a couple of jerrycans of gas for my generator for a year without problems, and without using stabilizer. I fill them in the fall, then in the summer use a bit of the gas for the lawn mower etc. At the end of summer, I empty the jerrycans into the car, and refill them with fresh gas. I have never had a problem. One reason may be that Anchorage is a generally cool climate, and the gas is stored in a shed in a shady spot. It doubt it rarely ever gets above 60 F in that shed even in summer, and it stays much colder in the winter. I did this for years without problems. The last few years I have started adding stabilizer for extra insurance, but my experience is that for short term (up to a year) storing gas in a cool place, stabilizer isn't essential. I also test run my generator every fall.

Edited by AKSAR (09/23/20 06:22 PM)