I used to do high power metallic silhouette and bowling pin shooting. Tons of fun! I'd like to get back into some form of competition but it will have to wait til the pandemic blows over (and of course til ammo returns).

Some say there's no legal justification for taking a shot past 25 yards but simply perusing the news stories will show otherwise. I recall one case where a private citizen came to the aid of an LEO that was pinned down behind a tree by a rifle armed felon. The GGWAG opened fire on the BG at something like 100 yards with his wheelgun. Obviously if you're taking fire from whatever range and can't escape you probably have justification to defend yourself.

You can't armor up your entire body but a lot of people have been saved by body armor, hard and soft. I have some soft panels and some steel IIIa (hard to explain the thought process I grant you...) purchased back when pistols where the main threat. While they probably still are the primary weapons of your average criminal the ubiquity of the AR over the last decade has led to rifles being used in crime more. They're still not that common but if I wind up in a gunfight I'm already having a "Black Swan" kind of a day. There's a non-zero chance of facing off against an adversary that's armed with a rifle so I am at least considering it as an option.