couple of comments... after the 2004 hurricane season in Florida where we were overrun with storms, I started standardizing my area and task LED lights, and weather radios with Eneloop AA...then looked into some alternative power projects

my first AA charger was DC auto battery (cigarette plug) as well as AC chargable...I purchased a 7W Goal Zero panel to look into solar power, and am able to charge 4 AAs in about 3.5 hours.. at the time my flip phone was not able to be charged with the 7W system

a 12V deep charge trolling motor battery was fitted with a cigarette plug female socket, and put on a float charger...
unfortunately I did not perform adequate routine maintenance , and after a couple of years, found a dead cell just before an approaching storm

my best addition was the purchase of a HF Predator 2200W inverter generator to back up my 3500W Honda... it is light weight and relatively quiet... both generators run off a squeeze bulb siphon system... the Honda directly into the carburetor (requires the fuel tank to be higher than the carb)... the 2200 has a fuel pump,so I plumbed a fuel line T between the fuel shut off valve and the fuel pump... an external fitting can be attached to the squeeze bulb system, or plugged if running off the internal tank.. the fuel supply as water proofed with a couple of 1/2" 90degree elbows, and a couple of short 2 1/2" sections of PVC, not glued, so you and feed the 5/16 fuel line through..one elbow fits over the spout of the fuel can with the drop tube adjusted for the can's height, the other sections fit to form a downward elbow to prevent rain from entering... there is enough room that a separate vent hole is not needed

I supplied power to three homes during Irma by placing the 3500 in the utility trailer and pulled it with the lawn mower (hitch ball) that way they could supply fuel from their own cans

the small inverter generators IMHO are the way to go... immediately after Irma, I picked up a couple spare spark plugs and required socket and cable tied one of them to the handle via plastic bag.... Mobil 1 synthetic

Les