So, as I have been introducing a number of former non-owners to firearms of late, this is my perspective.

1. I agree that having a firearm is better than not. Learning how to handle it safely is key, but there are any number of ways to accomplish that, including innumerable videos online from many sources including NSSF and NRA.

2. There is a huge advantage to one-on-one instruction in safe gun handling. Even better at a range. I agree that any conscientious and responsible gun owner should be able to teach that. Having said that, not all firearm owners are conscientious and responsible. I have seen too many sorry examples of unsafe gun handling to believe that just any gun owner can teach safe gun handling. Just saying...

3. There is a HUGE difference between quality instructors and those who think they are God's gift to firearms instruction and actually suck. Teaching is a skill that not every "instructor" has. As but one example, I have one friend who can diagnose your shooting issue in seconds and fix it. I have seen terrible instructors be unable to sort out a shooter's obvious to even me problem(s) because they are just poor instructors without the skills and experience. And the number I have seen who obviously spend too much time watching Hollywood fiction I can't even count. All instructors are not created equal and way too many aren't very good at all. No difference than in any field of instruction.

4. There is an ever HUGER difference between learning how to shoot safely and even accurately, and learning how to deal with a real live self-defense situation. The difference between shooting and gun-fighting is an order of magnitude. But, everyone needs to start with the basics of safe and accurate shooting before you move to the next level.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com