when I started looking a the concept of bugging out, I was teaching in a school built prior to the hurricane Andrew code changes after 92... our building was at that time a designated community shelter area... I took a look at what the early arrivals for an approaching storm were using... most evacuees were from a low lying area on the Anclote River ..their mobile home park was always effected by rain induced flooding... these "pros" arrived with some form of a rolling transport... a hand truck, garden cart etc, but several used a large Craftsman rolling plastic tool chest,.... strapped to the top a Sterilite or Tupperware sealed large bin, a cooler, and a folding aluminum chaise lounge...

clothing, toiletries, battery lights, radio, some consumable snacks and non alcoholic drinks... cooler full of ice, and the lounge gave the option of reclining fully to sleep, or sitting upright... the Craftsman plastic tool chest was strong enough and of the right height to sit on... the tool chest and large water resistant tub were my first purchases ... good 5 day cooler, battery powered fan, and light weight lounge chair followed... 30 years later I think they cover the necessities of bugging to a shelter for a minimum duration event....

today a small Asian camp stove, mosquito netting, better LED lighting, canned food, and a tarp and ridge pole for my utility trailer could still get the job done for a couple of weeks