Acropolis -

"So i usually carry a mix of bills in my handkerchief, wallet and sometimes my sock or jockey shorts. More money is in my car emergency backpack and EDC bag . I keep a minimum of $500 on my person. A mix of $20’s , $10s, $5s and about 10, $1s. Remember, there is often no change given in a grid down situation. .Sometimes, if i tank I might need to be able to buy high-ticket items , I’ll have some &100 bills. Add to that whatever daily cash I carry (~$100), and I might have up to $1500 easily accessible .

Now, I know this is a lot of cash and beyond the current means of many of us. But I’m older now and well established in my work and I’ve built this money up to these higher amounts, a little bit at a time, over the years, as my finances allowed."

If I'm more than short walking distance from home (say 10 miles) I have several hundred in twenties, a roll of quarters, and four 1/4 oz coins.

Normally I consider gold to be a hedge against inflation, what with the Fed pumping out dollars a trillion at a time, but few shiny coins can buy a lot of goodwill.