Don't cry too hard for the poor volunteer, SAR, or other specialty. I have experienced that the rewards and benefits of volunteering definitely outweigh the sacrifices.

The sacrifices are definitely present, but the rewards are immense. During my most active period in SAR, i was experiencing the negatives of a prolonged deterioration in my marriage, eventually ending in divorce, and a flat spot in my career. For several years, SAR was just about the only positive element in my life and I believe the opportunity to react positively and aid someone in a bit of trouble had profound beneficial effects.

In an odd way, depending upon the job situation, there may be a definite positive feedback into your work environment

Now retired, I also volunteer for other pursuits and I find similar benefits. I believe this would hold true for anyone devoting effort to a volunteer enterprise, provided the activity is something that definitely interest you.

Sometime when you are out at 3 AM, in the rain, searching for little Johnnie, and drinking the last of your water, just remember"Hikermor made me do this..."