I’ve said these words before, on this site, so forgive me if I repeat myself. To quote one of the finest poet, philosophers of the 20th. Century, Professor Robert Zimmerman, a/k/a Bob Dylan,” Money doesn’t ‘t talk. It swears!”

Money buys you a ticket on the “filled-up” last plane out of town. It buys a tank of gas at that gas station has no gas left, a room in hotel with “no vacancies “, a walk way when a junkie is looking for “fix” money and solves a whole list of analogous problems. Especially in power down situation when your credit cards don’t work and you can’t electronically access your bank or checking account.

I live in a highly urbanized area, with a matching cost of living. I sometimes travel 50-100 miles a day if my business takes me out of town. I’ve been stuck in those blizzards, blackouts and no vacancy hotel situations and cash has bailed me out, many times.

. So i usually carry a mix of bills in my handkerchief, wallet and sometimes my sock or jockey shorts. More money is in my car emergency backpack and EDC bag . I keep a minimum of $500 on my person. A mix of $20’s , $10s, $5s and about 10, $1s. Remember, there is often no change given in a grid down situation. .Sometimes, if i tank I might need to be able to buy high-ticket items , I’ll have some &100 bills. Add to that whatever daily cash I carry (~$100), and I might have up to $1500 easily accessible .

Now, I know this is a lot of cash and beyond the current means of many of us. But I’m older now and well established in my work and I’ve built this money up to these higher amounts, a little bit at a time, over the years, as my finances allowed.

On the same theme, today many financial planners note that you should be establishing a monthly set-side , to build up, a little at time, a 6 -12 month cash reserve of necessary home & living expenses , to be kept in your home. It took me many years to establish this cash reserve. But if you buy one less six-pack, one less bottle of wine,a few less lottery tickets, and bring your junch to work a few times.week, you’ll get there. Another trick is to make 1/2 of your monthly mortgage payment , every two weeks. Do this regularly and you’ll pay off your 30 year mortgage In about 13 -15 years.