I currently have the older Garmin GPSMAP 60csx, which apparently turned into one of the more liked models. Even years later it is very well thought of. Mine is still going very strong. I keep thinking I should get a new unit with a bigger screen, but honestly, the screens now are not that much bigger - aside from the car units.

I honestly don't know the current models well, but here are my thoughts:

I'd stick with Garmin - just me. Their handheld units are water resistant and pretty durable. They all will handle multiple coordinate types the higher end units also conntect to the newer satellite systems.

I'd stick with replaceable batteries. You can use your own rechargeables - which is what I do now.

I'd want one with an electronic compass. This allows the unit to point to north when you stop moving. A bit deal to me.

The altimeter isn't useful in the flat flat flat midwest, but on the two sides of the U.S. it would be useful.

I tend to lean toward a model with buttons so I could use it with gloves on - in winter. BUT, that will make the case larger.

Looking at Garmin's website ... if I bought again right now, I'd get the Garmin GPSMAP 64csx. There is also a newer GPSMAP 66i, but I don't think I'd need the inReach two-way texting feature that requires a subscription, but then again, it might be useful. OK, I'd probably buy the 66i assuming it would last 10+ years.

I tend to buy for the very long term, so the difference between $300 and $400 is negligible.