What I've learned: I am "prepped enough" to survive the coronavirus. But I am not prepped enough to not survive the cornovirus.

My wife and I both know how to take care of our household in the event the other dies. But in the case of my wife and I both dying, our children (or my sister or her brother) would have a hard time taking over our stuff, let alone take care of my mom who is currently on her own (forced lockdown) in a senior living facility.

Yes, we have a solid estate plan (trusts set up, wills, powers of xxx, etc.), but what we found lacking was consolidating all the important stuff our kids would need to know into one place. A "parents box" I'll call it. he way things were before this coronavirus, the kids would have been searching through file cabinets, in safe deposit boxes, on our computers, etc. to put all the details together. It is all pretty much documented, but not collected into one place. We are now busily consolidating everything into a "parents box" that I will probably paint bright red or something, so it will stick out as "the important box" if it gets mixed in with other boxes. We have sent out electronic copies of this stuff to the kids, but we found some of that was two years out of date. And can we trust the kids to be able to find the files we sent, and remember how to decrypt them?

So we are making a physical "one-stop-box" that has everything from estate plan, to bank account access details, to medication lists, to typical monthly bills and how they are paid, to insurances we have, to the strategies behind our investments, to lists of who to notify in case of our deaths, etc. Again, all this documentation exists already - just spread out. We came to the realization that we could massively help out our kids if they only had one single place to look.