Originally Posted By: Chisel
The Saudi gov had shut down the holy sites for a few days, dinsinfected everything, and then built a circular wall around the Kaabah ( the black cubic building in the center). This is importnat cuz every pilgrim tries to touch and kiss it. Now they can see it but not touch it. Moreover, Friday prayers have been suspended in all the country's mosques. Actually similar prayers suspension had taken place in neighboring countries like the UAE and Kuwait.

Lets' hope it helps.

I am not sure it will:(

I have spent a lot of time in KSA consulting and managing airports and specifically in one of the two airports dedicated for the pilgrim operations. My last assignment ended last year so I am very fresh on the plans, procedures and policies etc. as well as the routine and the life of both locals and visitors over there. The closing of holly sites etc is just like closing two stations of NY subway and showing it on media. The real pilgrim season will begin by the end of July so it is more like touristic visits now (non mandatory). Pilgrim or not these people are mostly old people and the whole thing is very tiresome and already takes a big toll on their health even without a pandemic. The pilgrimage or these visits out of season are not individual travels. It is the worlds biggest mass transit operation concerning millions of people.

In Turkey until 2 days ago it was only 5 or 6 cases which were confirmed virus positive. Now a mass return of off season pilgrims from Saudia has started from their visit after the closures. It is already more than 20K people back to Turkey from KSA and they are being quarantined in mass in University Dormitories. Time will show if this will be effective.