Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
From the little I've seen of preppers sites they seem nonsense.

I'm currently digging through one right now, looking for nuggets of useful information.

The "every man for himself" mindset that I am seeing is turning me off.

As Hikermor said:
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Frankly, when trouble comes, I intend to reach out and help my neighbors and i confidently predict they will help in return. This follows the CERT model - help yourself, your family, and then those nearby in the event of a problem.

If our money becomes worthless and the supply chain stops, I would like it if our gated community could pull our resources together. There are skills in just about every field in our gated community. For example, on our block alone, there are at least three nurses.

The problem is obvious: other than wild turkeys roaming our fenced-in community and lots of trees, what resources do we have to pull together? There's not a lot of space for growing food. Are we somehow able to make trades with the neighboring small farms (which are slowly dwindling due to new home construction)?

Trees can be chopped down and used for something. That alone would free up more space for growing more food. If there is a way to domesticate the wild turkeys, we could raise turkeys. I may not have a green thumb, but I have experience with composting. With all the trees we have, we would have lots of fertile soil.

Is there anything else even if it is not a "survivalist" website?

Jeanette Isabelle