There’s another good read at: 3 Reasons Why Smokers Have Worse Covid-19 Outcomes – Jesse Santiano M.D.

It reads like a tutorial in how lungs are damaged and made susceptible to COVID-19. While on active duty and stationed in Spain, Greece, Italy one thing that became apparent was that a lot of men smoked. Aging population, smokers = perfect environment for COVID-19.

Quote:
Smoking
Smoking is a risk factor for cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease. In China, 68% of men and 3.2% of women are smokers. That is from a study by Lancet in 2015. Based on this, we can infer that most of the men who got sick were smokers.

Why is smoking a big deal? What happens when someone smokes?

1. Covid-19 Sticks to Smokers Lungs More Easily

Before a virus causes damage to the lungs, it has to attach to lung tissue. Specifically, the alveoli. The alveoli are the smallest unit of the lung. They are responsible for oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange. The alveoli have ACE2 (angiotensin-converting enzyme 2) receptors. Receptors are where the SARS coronavirus and the Covid-19 sticks to. Once the virus sticks to the alveoli, tissue damage begins.

In an unpublished study called Tobacco-Use Disparity in Gene Expression of ACE2, the Receptor of 2019-nCov, done at the University of South Carolina, the investigators found that smokers have more ACE2 receptors in their lungs compared to non-smokers. The more the ACE2 receptors, the higher the chance of the Coronavirus adhering to a smoker’s lungs.

FWIW, I’m not a smoker and due to past issues with people who did smoke, I no longer tolerate them. I don’t do second-hand smoke either. I just excuse myself and walk away — no apologies.