Originally Posted By: teacher
Your BOB had all the wrong gear for all the wrong reasons.

From another discussion -- Listen, you're not going to hike off into the wild and survive with your BOB. You're going to throw it into the car and take it to a hotel or shelter or friends house till things blow over.

The post in the discussion is mistaken in stating that your BOB has the wrong gear. Just because you have a BOB with gear & supplies for an extended stay in the wilderness does not mean it’s the wrong bag for a hotel stay or camping out on a friend’s couch. You may only use a clean shirt and socks from the BOB, but at least you have a clean shirt and socks. If you’d bugged out to a hotel with only pocket carry or a Bailout bag, you might not have much to take you through an overnight. You’ll be wearing the same shirt and underwear when you check out.

Different bags for different purposes, but that doesn’t mean a BOB won’t be okay for a hotel stay. I’d rather have too much than too little so a BOB would beat out a (necessarily minimalist) Bailout bag everyday.

OTOH, a Go bag may have just what you need if you had a hotel stay or overnight in mind when you put it together. Currently my Go bag (to call it that) is like a 24 hour kit — through the day and overnight. When I was flying on active duty I’d often take a bingo bag just in case we landed at a field other than the one planned. If everything went as planned I’d go back to my room and drop my bingo bag in the corner unopened. If we had a problem and landed somewhere else, I had an overnight bag. Sometimes landing at a different field was planned and I took the same bag; call it a Go bag.