Good article. i am glad they removed the advice to buy N95 masks. Those are best saved for infected people and medical personnel treating them.

i live now in fire and earthquake country. Given enough time, both are inevitable. So one makes preparations and develops coping strategies. Then get on with life.

My parents met and married during the Great Depression. There is a great family story about a roadkill chicken that provided an exquisite dinner. Growing up post WWII, I recall that we always had a fully stocked pantry with easily two weeks of how, maybe more if we skrimped.

Working for the National Park Service, I lived in some fairly remote places (Wupatki Nat'l mon, Gila Cliff Dwellings nat'l Mon). When you got to town, you loaded up. Who knew when you would be back?

Even living in Socal, working on the Channel Islands, I always packed extra chow and sometimes redundant gear because of weather and various events like 9/11.

Keeping a decent stockpile of necessities just seems like good common sense. Just make sure you have enough dark chocolate, one of life's neessities!