Bountyhunter--

See Chris Kavanaugh's disclaimer post.

NO! NO! NO! No one should attempt to fire a .45 Colt round in a firearm chambered for a .410 bore shotgun round!!! On the slim chance that it might be possible, you're asking for serious trouble.

I don't know what's been said in any gun-zine, but I wouldn't trust any claim in a magazine article unless it was verified and approved in writing by the manufacturer.

I think the confusion is from the capability of the Thompson/Center Contender handgun (& its successors). The Contender family of guns is the only one of which I'm aware that is designed to fire both a centerfire handgun round or a shotgun round from the same barrel.

The T/C Contender is a break-open single shot handgun with interchangeable barrels, permitting multiple calibers to be used (one at a time) on the same frame. The Contender has a .45 Colt/.410 barrel as an option. It is a .45 caliber rifled barrel, with a screw-on straight rifled "choke" tube to stop the spin of the shot charge as it leaves the muzzle.

The barrel is a true .45 caliber, and will permit the slightly smaller .410 shell to chamber. Again, note that the T/C barrel is a ".45/410", not a ".410/.45" . Trying to stuff a .45 into a .410 is a recipe for disaster.

See Chris Kavanaugh's disclaimer post.

The sub-caliber barrel liner, however, is a great idea, if one can be found.

Did I mention, see Chris Kavanaugh's disclaimer post?
David