Due to the sudden and unanticipated failure of our hot water heater, for the last three days I have been heating water for dish washing and showers. I have learned a thing or two.

For showers. I have used my solar shower; unfortunately solar heating is not very effective in February. I have been heating water on our stove and I learned one thing for sure. You don't want to deal with a large container of hot water; smaller is better(and safer!) There are all kinds of camping stoves,using liquid, gas, or solid fuels that can quickly heat reasonable quantities of water (one gallon or less). For that matter, a solar shower works very well when the sun is out long enough. I have used one quite satisfactorily for days at a time during the summer and fall.

This episode with the hot water heater has been instructive to me - how to use camping gear when the utilities go on the fritz, as they would do in most disasters.

Dealing with failed or absent utilities is a tricky business and everyone's situation and environment will vary, as will the best solutions.