Thrift shops have been very good to me over the years. The charity shops are by far the best, although Value Village has established itself here (a more expensive, for-profit chain).

The trick is to walk through regularly. To be efficient with time and gas, I have a "trapline" of errands in different areas, and a quick tour through the local thrift shops is SOP. (I also think it's cheap entertainment, though some consider that weird.)

I have found good US-made folders (Buck 110, Gerber Gator, original Schrade), a Grohmann boat knife, Swedish filleting knives, assorted SAKs in great condition, and even the occasional multitool.

There's car-camping gear too, like Coleman stoves and lightweight pots. Campfire guitars, too, needing only minor repairs.

For those who suffer the misconception that these stores are intended for poor people only, ask the managers: they will tell you that the world is drowning in "stuff" and they are converting it back into cash for programs that truly help those trying to escape poverty and addiction. (While incidentally keeping perfectly good stuff out of the landfills.)