Originally Posted By: teacher
The one I'm looking at is the vlife tactical tactical pack
It feels heavy, the two side pockets are attache by velcro (failure points) the hydration sleeve is very light material, and the hip belt is poorly designed, moving most of the weight to the shoulders.
Its for light use, or keeping all you gear together, rather than actual hiking.
If it's just for "keeping all you gear together, rather than actual hiking", then you would be better off spending the money on a decent quality duffle bag. At a price of only $30.99, yet with all those "features", you know they have to be cutting quality.

Seems like we've had this discussion regarding tacticool gear before? Real military gear has its place, but is optimized for the needs of the military. Cheep knockoffs are not worth buying.

For civilian use, I'm with hikermor, clearwater, and Tjin. Keep it lightweight, keep it simple, keep it clean. Minimize the stuff hanging off the outside of the pack. Too much junk hanging on the outside of your pack ruins your balance, gets caught on brush or other obstacles, and makes you look like an amateur. Excess velcro, outside pockets, webbing, buckles, etc just adds weight. If you need to carry more stuff, get a bigger pack. If you don't need the volume, then cinch the pack down.

In my opinion, currently the best compromise between weight, comfort, durability and functionality is in packs made for serious mountaineering. There are lots of good choices out there. My own current favorite for moderate loads is the Black Diamond Speed 40. It weighs only 2 lbs 11 oz (1.3 kg), and has 40 liter (2440 cu in) capacity. Comfortable to carry with reasonable loads. Options to strap some minimal gear on the outside (sleeping pad, climbing rope, etc), but most of the extra straps, the lid, etc can be removed if you want to go really light. The framesheet pad can be removed and/or used as a bivy sit pad. Decently durable. That's my current go to pack, but there are other good choices out there.

Edited by AKSAR (01/17/20 11:10 PM)