For "normal" visitors, there is an already existing permit system, much as you describe, and ti has been working rather well. The people who venture into the far reaches of Santa Rosa Island are well informed and equipped.

My concerns are more immediate- my own body and those of colleagues. With the demise and decay of the rod system, the more practical alternative to accessing the regions of interest is beach landing via skiffs, often on the far end of the island, easily at least a good day's hike (18 miles) from the developed area.

Dealing with skiffs in the surf, you want to be nimble, quick, and lightly loaded. Part of your load is necessary gear to record and deal with the material you encounter - not a whole lot left over for dealing with emergencies. Emergencies, while not routine, do occur from time to time, altering the plans of staff working remotely. Historically, shipwrecked boat crews have wound up on the beach.

Sometime in the 1940's,a group of poachers flew to the island, landed, shot their elk, and then found they couldn't take off, having to walk a considerable distance to the ranch and ask for assistance. They got off the island, but their plane remains where they landed. they were treate generously, if you ask me.

Prospecting for paleontological material will be continuing operation, long after I am inactive. Workers stuck on the island will need water, food, and some sort of shelter. While the climate is mild, high winds are routine, and hypothermia is possible. A decent survival stash could be very handy.

I am trying to plan for the eventually inevitable mishap and have necessary items available.

Thank you very much for your comments. I have enjoyed working in the park (it is quite a remarkable place), but accidents do happen...

Edited by hikermor (12/12/19 04:36 PM)