Just recently obtained a Quokka, a small headlamp manufactured by Knog, an Australian company that makes bicycle lights and similar items. it is mall and compact - the entire unit weighs less than 2 ounces. I have been using mine about a week and I am very satisfied.

The light contains a wide beam, a focus (distance beam, a red LED light, all contained in an integrated unit with a male USB fitting which slips into a silicone headband (various colors). the headbnd at full extension fits comfortably around my 7 1/4 noggin. I would need to work up some kind of fixture to fit it on a climbing helmet or similar, but I am sure that is possible.

I have not done any actual night hiking with this unit, but using around the house at night, i am positive ti would work well. I have hiked many miles with lights that were far less bright. The unit emits a max 80 lumens (both spot and wide beams working together) for two and one half hours. Both LEDs are adjustable and long run times are available. the red LED is said to shine for about 80 hours.

Do pay attention to the instructions, especially master the lock function since the unit will turn on very easily if not locked.

This light is available only from REI in the USA, with whom I have no connection other than a satisfied customer.

Knog offers two year warranton on the unit, but only six months on the battery, which is puzzling, since the battery or something similar is integrated into the unit and not obviously separable. It is not clear how that would function.

Anyway, this is a light, bright headlamp that shoud be ery useful...