When I was a kid still living at my parents I was once locked in our basement, the thing was, I could get outside from the basement, but the front door was locked and no one was home and I had no key. I did have a pocket knife and a water bottle. Together I was able to open the front door. (I know, poorly adjusted, should have a deadbolt, my home now has deadbolts are all exterior doors.) I have used pencils as plugs in shotguns while out duck hunting. I have wired a "house battery" to a starting battery by cutting up an extension cords. Lots of things have worked in a pinch. The secret is to look at what you have and to use it to aid your situation. While it wasn't intentional, I realize now that a knife what used in every single one of those three examples! I find that my Skeletool is really a perfect balance. I have basic screw drivers, knife, and pliers in one. Occasionally I wish I had a more robust folder or a wave, but the Skeletool really hits the right balance. The signal temps me for added ability to make fire!