I currently don’t use a weather radio. The radio I have that should be capable of receiving NOAA has yet to receive a signal so maybe it’s reception in the canyon where I live (SOCAL), or maybe the weather isn’t noteworthy (no tornadoes or hurricanes) but I’ve found them fairly useless. Or maybe it’s the radio...

That said, I’m considering the relatively new Kaito KA123 Digital AM FM NOAA Weather Radio which uses a silicon lab “DPS” (DSP = Digital Signal Processing) chip. What I like about the KA123 is that it has “alert mode”. My take is that the radio is basically on standby waiting for a prompt/signal from NOAA to activate. Is that typical of radios with SAME tech or is this something different? (It’s not a SAME radio.)

My better half’s pocket radio died recently so I ordered a Kaito KA220 AM/FM radio as a replacement. For a 2xAAA pocket radio, it looks pretty good — DSP & PLL circuitry —simple controls. Not a weather radio, but there are plenty of AM News stations here which should suffice.