I'm planning to visit New York City next winter and I read about the draconian knife laws applied there.

I'm aware that the main issue is about the opening system, and that any knife which can be even remotely deployed with the infamous "wrist's flick" is a big no no and can get you arrested.

But I have an additional issue, I'm Italian and I'll be visiting the US under the "Visa Waiver Program" that the American government kindly extends to citizens of "friendly" countries.

I read in a couple of sources online that non-US citizens need to be extra careful in NYC and should avoid carrying any blade whatsoever on their person.

So, in your opinion, I'll be safe in carrying only a really small SAK (my trusty EDC, the Walker, 84 mm in length while closed, non locking blade 50mm long) or should I leave it at home?
I'd hate to have to cancel my return flight or facing exorbitant legal expenses just for being caught with a tiny pocket knife.

Another issue is the possible presence of airport style security checks at major tourist attractions in the city. Will I have to surrender my small knife every time I enter places like the MOMA, the Empire States Building or the Statue of Liberty?

Thank you very much to everyone able to be of assistance.