I have friends and a sister in the medical field. Because of them, I learned a few things that I may have known otherwise, such as the proper way to wash my hands so that I don't inadvertently contaminate them again. They also taught me how to get a patient's blood pressure.

Other than the gunshot wound class Mom and I took Saturday, which was very helpful, I don't see much opportunity for me to have formal training. There is a college a little more than ten miles away. As I've mentioned, because of my anxiety disorder, I can't be in a car for more than a few miles without being medicated. I have to use that medication (Lorazepam, 1MG) sparingly.

I know what you are saying. Knowledge is more important than the tools. And there is only so much I can learn by reading books and practicing on myself. My hands-on experience is limited to cuts, scrapes, bumps, bruises, burns, changing dressings, sprung ankles and a door slamming on my hand.

That said, I do have some tools I'm not trained to use, such as decompression needles, in the event a person there knows the procedure but lacks the equipment.

Acropolis5 suggested a #11 scalpel. I may get one for the same reason I have decompression needles. He also suggested safety googles, which I did not buy because of the lack of space; it is impressive what I can get into my medical bag if I do a bit of rearranging.

Since no one has objected to removing the hot and cold pack to make space for the blood pressure cuff and stethoscope, that is what I will do.

Jeanette Isabelle