It is still a relevant issue. How did I miss chiming in when it started? Acquisition of gear is an interactive experience, combined with learning the ropes and getting experience.

At least that is how I learned and developed many moons ago. Start with simple day hikes, progressing to more challenging and strenuous trips, and eventually to overnight and longer excursions in more extreme weather. Be sure your companions are at least as competent as you are. You can also learn a lot from books and the internet. ETS, among others, has good info.

Fundamental are the three B's - , boots, bag (sleeping), and backpack. These have to be suitable for conditions or one will be miserable, if not worse. Much of the rest of your gear can be obtained on the cheap or improvised.

You will always be buying gear and tweaking your stuff. I have been doing so for more than sixty years and there is no end in sight, although the pace has slackened a bit.

You will spend more than $600. I queried REI where I have been a member since 1963 and I have purchased over $12,000 worth of stuff since i joined. I have also purchased from other outfits.

After thought: Should not we adjust the $600 figure for inflation, considering the antiquity of this thread??

Edited by hikermor (09/18/19 12:08 PM)