Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
All primary (non-rechargeable) batteries can corrode. I don't have data on rechargeable batteries corroding -- I've never seen it. But they have their own issues.

Lithium primary batteries are very unlikely to corrode, even past their expiration dates. NB: lithium primary batteries should be matched in brand/model/state-of-charge before installing in any device that takes more than one at a time, particularly high-drain devices. The easy way to do this is to only use new batteries from the same package. Badly mismatched lithium primary batteries can "vent with flame" which is to be avoided.

Alkaline batteries will corrode, it's just a matter of when. If the battery powered device is valuable or special, I would recommend storing it with batteries removed.

yes, this

i've had ag13 (and many other button batteries) corrode on me, in or out of date.

and yes, even had a AAA Eveready Ultimate (primary) Lithium leak on me. i called the maker and they admitted that lithium are less likely to leak, but sometimes do.

so follow CM's advice: remove all batteries, or check for leaks often (if i leave batts in something, i check monthly)